TERMS & CONDITIONS
A & T Hodgson Ltd and A & T Hodgson Driving School Leasing Ltd Trading as MSM
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL PROFESSIONAL DRIVING SCHOOLS/INSTRUCTORS SHOULD PROVIDE OR HAVE LISTED A TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR YOU TO READ THROUGH!
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF BUSINESS
** (PLEASE SEE BOTTOM OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS REGARDING 2015 YELLOW PAGES PROMOTIONAL COUPON)
- The cost of lessons will have been clearly explained upon first contact with MSM. The pupil will also be clearly informed at the beginning of the first lesson.
- Each driving lesson must be paid for at the start of the lesson and the lesson duration is approximately 55 MINUTES.
- The meeting point for each lesson is at Douglas Sea Terminal car park. If a pupil requires to be picked up at any other destination, travelling time from and to the sea terminal, may infringe into the pupils lesson time.
CANCELLATION OF LESSONS
- A minimum 24 hours’ notice must be given to MSM, or the Instructor for no charge to occur. If you fail to turn up for an appointment or cancel within less than 24 hours of the lesson booked, the lesson will be charged at the full amount.
- Lessons paid for in advance or with vouchers, cancelled within 24 hours, then the full lesson or voucher price will be charged.
- Whilst waiting at the meeting point for your lesson, please look out for your Instructor. The Instructor will wait at the agreed meeting place for 15 minutes only. If you fail to attend, you will be charged the full cost of the lesson. If you are running late, beyond 15 minutes, please call or text your Instructor to inform them, so you do not miss the remaining time of your lesson.
- MSM Instructors will endeavour to give a pupil prior notice if any changes or cancellations need to be made to a pupils lesson. MSM Instructors reserves the right to postpone lessons if it is felt that the weather or roads conditions are unsuitable or dangerous. MSM Instructors cannot be held responsible for any costs incurred as a result of the postponement of any lessons, for whatever reason.
- A pupil is required to hold a valid (NOT EXPIRED) two part Isle of Man provisional or full driving licence, which must be produced to the Instructor at the start of the first lesson. If you hold a full valid licence and are taking refresher lessons or advanced driver training, this licence does not necessarily need to be an Isle of Man licence.
- You must be able to read a vehicle registration plate from a distance of 20.5 metres with or without the use of glasses or contact lenses. Glasses or contact lenses must be worn if you are required to wear them by law for driving. If you are required to wear either glasses or contact lenses for driving and you fail to wear them for a lesson, then no driving will legally be allowed to take place. Your Instructor you offer you the opportunity to run through theory training with you for that lesson. If this is refused, the lesson will still be charged at the full amount.
- In the interests of the pupil and public safety, MSM Instructors reserve the right to withhold the use of a car for the test if, in their opinion, the pupil’s driving/riding is actually unsafe or potentially dangerous.
- At the Instructor’s discretion, a pupil may be refused entry into the vehicle, if they turn up in soiled clothing or muddy work boots. The lesson will still have to be paid for at the full amount.
- You may be refused a driving lesson if the instructor has reason to believe that you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs. The lesson will still be charged for at the full amount.
- The Instructor may refuse to continue providing lessons without prior notice, if the Instructor is not satisfied with a pupil’s conduct or commitment during lessons.
- At the Instructor’s discretion, any pupil who cancels lessons on three or more consecutive occasions! Could lose their time allocated to them. This will not be the case if a pupil is on holiday and the Instructor has been given prior notice.
- Lessons paid for in advance via MSM or directly with the Instructor will not be refunded, if the pupil for whatever reason decides to stop taking lessons. If a pupil stops taking lessons because of any personal issues between themselves and the Instructor, then the pupil will be allocated to another MSM Instructor to complete or continue with their lessons.
- Pre-paid blocks of lessons paid for in advance, must be completed within 6 months from the date of purchase. If a pupil decides to postpone lessons that have been paid for in advance, then the remaining lessons must still be completed within 6 months. No outstanding lessons paid for will be credited or refunded on the expiry of 6 months from date of purchase.
- Pre-paid block lessons or any lessons paid for in advance will not be credited or refunded if a pupil takes a driving test and successfully passes before the block of lessons have been completed. Lessons remaining may be used as further training beyond the test for that pupil if required.
- In the interests of comfort and safety, pupils are advised to wear suitable footwear and clothing which does not restrict movement. Pupil’s must also take note of any medication they are taking that may affect their ability to drive safely and/or advise their Instructor accordingly, before taking a lesson.
- Due to increasing annual costs of insurance, vehicle maintenance and fuel. The cost of a driving lesson will normally be increased at the beginning of each financial year, advance notice of which will be given to the pupil.
- If you are taking on road lessons, the Instructor will carry the appropriate motor insurance should the pupil cause or be involved in an incident whilst driving the Instructor’s vehicle, whether accompanied by an Instructor or Examiner.
- We do not guarantee to provide, procure the provision of services if we are prevented from doing so in circumstances beyond our reasonable control, including without limitations, the activities of civil or Government authorities, third party industrial disputes, internal industrial disputes where we have taken reasonable steps to prevent the effects of such action on our services but have been unable to do so; acts of God; or severe weather conditions.
- If a pupil purchases lessons whereby they receive lessons free. The free lesson/s will be nil and void if the pupil decides to cancel or discontinue with the lessons at any point. If lessons are postponed by the pupil for a period of 30 days or more, then the free lesson/s will be nil and void.
- All promotions offered by MSM are subject to change without prior notice.
- All promotions offered by MSM, may not be used in conjunction with any other offer.
- All promotions offered by MSM are subject to terms and conditions which will be clearly explained upon first contact with MSM either verbally or via email.
- All vouchers are non-refundable under any circumstances. A voucher must be presented to the Instructor at the start of a lesson, failure to do so will incur the standard lesson charge by additional payment. The value of a voucher may not necessarily cover the cost of a driving lesson, therefore an additional charge may occur to make up the full lesson price. Vouchers are valid for a maximum of 6 months from date of purchase. Expired vouchers will not be accepted, credited or refunded beyond the expiry date. Lost vouchers may be replaced as per the initial validity date. Administration charges will apply to replace the vouchers.
- Vouchers issued for block lessons of 10, 20 or 30 lessons are valid for a maximum of 6 months.
- Voucher numbers and expiry dates are clearly displayed on the front of the voucher. Basic terms and conditions are displayed on the reverse of the voucher.
- MSM, recommend that lessons should be booked at least 3 months before the expiry date of the vouchers, therefore allowing time to complete all voucher lessons. Lessons are subject to availability only, so no guarantee can be made if you leave it to less than 3 months before booking in for lessons to use your vouchers.
- Promotional vouchers are subject to additional terms and conditions and may not be used in conjunction with any other promotion. Terms and conditions will be supplied with any promotional vouchers.
THE DRIVING TEST
- All pupils must pass a computerised theory & hazard perception test before they can be entered for an official practical driving test.
- If a pupil has applied for a driving test and does not keep up to date with their lessons prior to the test, then the Instructor may refuse the pupil use of the vehicle for the test without notice. MSM or the Instructor will not be liable for any charges incurred by the pupil for that test if they are refused the use of the vehicle.
- If a pupil applies for a driving/riding test without the prior consent of the Instructor and the Instructor does not think that the pupil in question is not at test standard, then the pupil will be refused the use of the vehicle for the test.
- If a pupil requests to take a driving test in their own vehicle, they must produce a valid insurance certificate to the Instructor and Examiner. The vehicle must also be registered under Isle of Man plates and must also display a valid road fund licence. L plates must be affixed to the front and rear of the vehicle, but not to the windows of the vehicle. All four tyres must meet the legal requirement of at least 1.6mm of tread around the entire circumference of the tyre and the inner three quarters of the tyre. The outer edges of the tyre must have at least visible tread around the entire circumference. All indicators, lights, wipers, windscreen wash, brakes, front seatbelts, horn, must be in good working order.
- On the day of the test, it is standard practice to take a pre-test lesson before the test. This means the vehicle has to be booked out for a minimum of 2 lessons (3 lessons in the case of an extended test), each lesson therefore will be charged at the normal lesson rate. The cost for these lessons must be paid for at the start of the pre-test lesson, failure to do so may end up in the test being cancelled by the Instructor.
- If you are successful in passing the driving/riding test, you may be asked by your Instructor for consent to have your photograph taken, so that it may be downloaded onto the MSM website, Facebook page, or other promotional material/data. Once consent has been provided either by yourself or legal guardian, should you then wish to decide to have the photograph removed! An administration charge of £50.00 will be charged for photograph to be removed.
COMPLAINTS or GRIEVANCES
If a pupil/customer would like to make a complaint or has a grievance, then they must contact in the first instance either Mr C Hodgson direct on 07624 493851, Mrs L Hodgson on 07624 414243 or our office on 01624 667766.
We may also be contacted by writing to the address below:
WHITE HOE INDUSTRIAL ESTATE
OLD CASTLETOWN ROAD
ISLE OF MAN
You may also email – email@example.com – firstname.lastname@example.org – email@example.com
Directors: Mr C Hodgson – Mrs L Hodgson
All terms and conditions of business are correct at time of printing. A & T Hodgson Ltd & A & T Hodgson Driving School Leasing Ltd – Trading as MSM, reserves the right to make changes to the terms and conditions of business without prior notice.